Tuesday, 10 March 2015

Shaheen

Scrolling down the cursor I got a glimpse of a word 'Shaheen'; I kept on scrolling but after few seconds i scrolled back to that word and suddenly i was like WOW!... How can I miss that. I tried hard to resume my scrolling, but to no vain....
well Shaheen, an Urdu word meant for Eagle, reminds me the genius of Iqbal (Dr. Allama Muhammad Iqbal ). A very dynamic and potent term in his poetry is that of "Shaheen", metaphorically defines youths. You might be thinking now what has the eagle (merely a bird, although mighty one) got to do with youths. JUST FIGURE IT OUT:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

~ Kiya Mein Ne Uss Khakdan Se Kinara
Jahan Rizq Kanaam Hai Aab-o-Dana
(I have turned away from that place on earth
Where sustenance takes the form of grain and water.)


Bayaban Ki Khalwat Khush Ati Hai Mujh Ko
Azal Se Hai Fitrat Meri Rahbana
(The solitude of the wilderness pleases me—
By nature I was always a hermit—)


Hamam-o-Kabootar Ka Bhooka Nahin Main
Ke Hai Zindagi Baaz Ki Zahidana
(I am not hungry for pigeon or dove—
For renunciation is the mark of an eagle’s life)


Jhapatna, Palatna, Palat Kar Jhapatna
Lahoo Garam Rakhne Ka Hai Ek Bahana
(To swoop, withdraw and swoop again
Is only a pretext to keep up the heat of the blood.)


Ye Poorab, Ye Pacham Chakoron Ki Dunya
Mera Neelgun Asman Baikarana
(East and West ‐these belong to the world of the pheasant,
The blue sky—vast, boundless—is mine! )


Prindon Ki Dunya Ka Dervaish Hun Mein
Ke Shaheen Banata Nahin Ashiyana
( I am the dervish of the kingdom of birds—
The eagle does not make nests )~

No comments:

Post a Comment